Saturday, March 20, 2010

News and Views

Well it seems that as far as nerd movies go, everything and nothing seems to be happening right now. Both Thor and Green Lantern have started filming and casting is underway for The First Avenger: Captain America. But yet very little news have come from these films, with the exception of a new casting rumor everyday for Captain America.

As stated in one of my previous rants, Marvel is searching for their Steve Rogers, with reports stating that star of The Office John Krasinski all but had the role. Now things seem to be heating up with reports that director Joe Johnson is dead set on Krasinski as Cap, but that Marvel is still searching for an actor. Everyday it seems that a new blond haired, blue eyed, twenty something actor is brought up for consideration. Right now the new favorite is Chris Evans, better known as the Human Torch from the disappointing Fantastic Four films.

Now I for one will be extremely pleased if Evans does indeed get the role, just watch the Fantastic Four movies and see how he steals both of them. Evans has the look and attitude needed for Captain America, and he has always seemed to be one step away from stardom but bad movies have held him back. Hopefully if he does nab the role this will be a good opportunity for him to shine.

Hugo Weaving is in talks to play Cap's nemesis, The Red Skull, and this is just perfect casting in my mind. Weaving has made a career out of being a scene stealing badass and I would love to see him go up against Chris Evans as Cap. Plus if John Krasinski or some other equally under qualified unknown gets the part, Weaving will more than make up for it.

Not much has been reported from the Thor set, in fact I've been very impressed with how tightly the film has been locked down. Not a single word that Marvel hasn't wanted you to hear has leaked from the set, and at this point I was expecting crappy quality fan taken photos of Thor in costume. But so far nothing has been released but I am greatly looking forward to seeing that first still of Thor come to life or hopefully a teaser sometime over the next few months.

Green Lantern started filming this past week and thankfully fans were there to spy on the shoot. Not much was revealed other than a few shots of Ryan Reynolds sporting the power ring; they were blurry as hell but it teased me enough for me to have a small geek out. This movie is easily my most anticipated of next year and looks to be a success with the great talent behind and in front of the camera. Once again I'm hoping stills are released soon of Reynolds in full costume.

In other movie news, a trailer went out for my second most anticipated movie of the summer, Predators. The AVP movies were embarrassments to both Alien and Predator franchises, and hopefully this movie will be the rebound the Predator series needs. The trailer doesn't show much, but it was enough to get me pumped and also convince me that Adrien Brody can be an action hero. I'm also pleased at the lack of CGI and blue screen, and the use of actual locations and sets make this film look very much like the original Predator.

I also checked out the trailer for Tron Legacy. Now I thought the first Tron was meh, but overall very fun. But when this trailer came on before Alice in Wonderland (grrr...) I found myself wanting to see more. Some people want the look of the original Tron for this film but I'm glad the filmmakers went with an updated look for the computer world because when you look at it Tron is a film about technology, and technology has advanced greatly and that needs to be represented in the world of Tron. I'm also pumped that Disney got Jeff Bridges back for this sequel, which is a brilliant move to pull in the old fans.



No comments:

Post a Comment